Peony Flower Tutorial

This was a very fun flower to make and there are lots of variations in folds that you could do.  Here's a tutorial for this version.  Let me know what you think and if you make one and LOVE it!


What you need:
Felt - color of your choice (I would get 2 sheets just in case)
fabric scissors
hot glue
thin cardboard
button
netting - optional
pin clasp 
Cut your piece of felt into squares:
7 Large - 2 x 2 1/4"
7 Medium - 1 3/4 x 2 1/4"
6 Small - 1 5/8 x 1 3/4"

Cut all your pieces to look like so.  Basically it's a heart shape with a flat bottom.  They should get progressively smaller as you cut the Large to Medium to Small squares.

I used part of this box for my base.

Cut a circle 2 1/2" diameter.

I use this side face-up just because it has less color to possibly show through the petals, just in case.

LARGE PETALS
Fold in half at the bottom and put a small little line of hot glue between the sides at the fold.

Next, fold in one of the sides to the middle, securing with a small line of hot glue.

Repeat on the other side.

Turn over to the wrong side and look at the grooves.

Hot glue the grooves together to secure the petal.

This is what you end up with. 

MEDIUM PETALS
Begin by folding them in half (like the large) with a small line of hot glue on the fold.

Fold down the sides toward the bottom of the petal and secure with hot glue on the backside.

It should look like this from the end.

Now fold down the other side.

You should end up with this.  

It reminds me of the Bleeding Heart plant.

SMALL PETALS
Fold in half and secure with a small line of hot glue at the fold.

And that's it.  They will end up laying open like this.

So now you have all your petals prepared for assembly.

In order they should look like this.

Begin by placing all your large petals on your circle to get a feel for where they should be placed, overlapping petals slightly.  Hot glue down.

Mine overlap the back like this.

You will need to cover the back with a circle of felt.  I had to use my 2nd sheet of felt for this back.

Layer your medium petals on top of the large and the small on top of the medium.  It should end up looking like this.

Now grab your button stash and play around with what center you like.  You could also roll fabric, put a sparkly in the middle, or a covered button.

You can also stick some netting on the back.  These are the only 2 colors I have right now, so I opted out of this for now with the green flower.

Hot glue your pin clasp on the back.  And you're ready to show off!

If you want to see the other flowers I've done, here they are:



Linking to:
giveaways

3 comments:

  1. oooh, Bonnie that is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love it! It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am visiting from NFF. I think that is the most darling thing I have seen. That was a great tutorial too. I think I could do it.
    They would be great for alot of different things.
    Thanks,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...